Many people do not realize that they may be brushing their teeth too hard and don’t even know that this is a possibility. Brushing twice a day is a must but applying too much pressure can lead to the damage of your gums and the effects of this cannot be reversed unless you go through surgery.
If this is something you have never considered, the following signs will help you determine whether or not you are brushing too hard:
- You feel as though your gums are receding. If you notice a change in your gum line, it is definitely a sign that you’re brushing too hard.
- Your teeth feel more sensitive than usual. If you notice that certain areas of your teeth feel colder or more sensitive than other parts, it may be because you are brushing your teeth too hard. Whenever the gums recede, some parts of your teeth that were covered will now become exposed.
- Your teeth are not as bright closer to your gums. Your teeth are a darker shade underneath your gums because they are considered root surfaces and do not have enamel on them. As your gums start to recede, your teeth will appear less and less white as you get closer into your root surface.
There are ways to prevent these problems and the following tips will stop you from brushing your teeth too hard:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush. Toothbrushes with medium or hard bristles can cause damage to your gums and lead to gum recession. Softer bristles will not have that negative effect, so make sure you use the right type of toothbrush.
- Hold your toothbrush with just three of your fingers. This will help reduce any unnecessary pressure you may be applying to your gums and will allow the tips of the bristles to do their job. Pressing harder does not mean your teeth will be cleaner and it’s the motion that is important because that is what will make your brushing effective.
- Start using an electric toothbrush. This is a great way of preventing gum damage because electric toothbrushes allow you to gently glide the toothbrush over your teeth and it will do all of the work for you.
If you think that you have receding gums, it is very important that you visit your dentist right away so that they can complete an examination and assess the extent of the damage. If the damage is not yet severe, they may recommend that you start using a specific type of toothpaste to help reduce sensitivity on any exposed surfaces.
It’s important to brush your teeth properly because doing it right will ensure you do not cause any harm to your gums. Strathroy Family Dental can help with all of your dental needs, so if you are looking for a reputable dentist in Strathroy, Ontario, give us a call now!